Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Time and Yorkies and HEAT STROKE

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR DOG IN THE SUMMER!
It's common sense; these little guys don't take much to over-heat.
Watch them closely, if you are out walking in the summer heat.
Watch for excessive panting; watch for dizziness.

On a recent summer day, a couple played with Samantha near the lake, tossing a small ball back and forth.

Things went tragically wrong, and the dog collapsed of a heat stroke.

She was rushed to an emergency animal clinic, but it was too late and she died.
“People tend to think their animal can just keep going that they’re less sensitive to heat than we are, they’re really not,“ said Amber Rowland of Town Center Animal Center. “They’re not going to be like your toddler and be like it’s hot mommy! They just have to use their bodies and we have to pay attention to what their bodies are saying to us.“

Look for signs like dizziness, vomiting, trembling muscles, heavy panting with a dry tongue and lying down without trying to get up.

“Get them out of the heat, get them into a cool environment and provide them with plenty of fresh, cool water,“ said Rowland.

9 comments:

the teacher's pets said...

It is sad that this can happen to your beloved friend so quickly if you don't know the warning signs for it! Thanks for sharing for useful information!

Destiny said...

Thank you for sharing this info. I have a 5-month year old york-chi that I got at the beginning of June. Having this breed of dog is still very new to me.

pyt145@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up! It gets so hot here in Oklahoma and Tootie's coat is black. We're not out very long, just enough time for whatever it takes to get the business done, but at 98 degrees and high humidity it doesn't take much!

Yorkshire Terrier Pups said...

Thank you for sharing it, I agree that we need to pay a lot of attention to this. It is a really hard issue, since they can't tell us what they feel.

Krazy For Pets said...

Thanks for sharing! by the way, I don't normally dress up my Yorkies but light colors or white t-shirt can help with heat absorption.

SweetestAngel3 said...

my sister in laws teacup Yorkie passed away Sunday night because of this very same issue

Unknown said...

This just happen to my Yorkie /Terrier. happen fast we were walking in the park and my baby collapsed I snatched him up and rushed to the vet hospital. They had to give him fluids intro and oxegen he was turning blue when we arrived. I was so scared .He was in the hospital for 4 hrs. He lived and I thank God. I live in Florida. The summers are brutal . I will now be taking my baby in the morning and evenings. I also carry water and a bowl everywhere, even where there is AC.

Unknown said...

I live in Florida its hot but on this day we were in a mostly shaded park for about an hr. Tobey sat down, then he collapsed he was panting and would not drink any water. I snatched him up and ran to the nearest vet. We were lucky we made it in time to save him. But he spent 4 hrs in the hospital getting fluids and oxegen. So scary. I will take him now only in mornings and evenings. I will also be giving him water every 10 min.

Unknown said...

This just happen to my Yorkie /Terrier. happen fast we were walking in the park and my baby collapsed I snatched him up and rushed to the vet hospital. They had to give him fluids intro and oxegen he was turning blue when we arrived. I was so scared .He was in the hospital for 4 hrs. He lived and I thank God. I live in Florida. The summers are brutal . I will now be taking my baby in the morning and evenings. I also carry water and a bowl everywhere, even where there is AC.