Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dogs Best Friend - Man Frees Dog From Jaws of Alligator



How much do you love your dog?



WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Mandy, a Wheaton terrier, and her owner, David Grounds, are together again. Both are still shaken up and recovering from an alligator attack Saturday.
Grounds had let Mandy out in the back yard of his West Palm Beach home. The gator grabbed the dog while she was walking along the edge of a pond.

"My first thought was, 'I've got to pry his mouth apart to keep him from, you know, killing her,'" David Grounds told WPBF News 25's Alexis Rivera from his home Tuesday.

Grounds said he poked the gator's eye and managed to pry his jaw open in time for Mandy to get away. She suffered a few cuts on her back and belly.

However, Grounds wasn't as lucky. The reptile bit off one finger and part of another.
"She's likes a child -- my child, you know," Grounds said of Mandy. "I have four sons and if one of them had been attacked, you'd have to see what you can do -- and the same with her."
A trapper later removed the 7-foot gator from the pond behind Grounds' home. It was euthanized.

Grounds told Rivera he'd do it all over again if he had to.
"I'd trade these two fingers for her, for sure, without a doubt," he said.
I read an article last week where a doctor suggested, you never put your own life and limbs at risk, if your dog is in danger. MOST pet owners would disagree! They are just like our children! Of course, I am going to try to save them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd do the EXACT SAME THING for my little Jazmyn!! These Yorkies are like your children!! We will do anything in our power to save them!! I have lost one before and if I had the chance I would have saved her!!